How the forum went:
The Mission: Australian Poetry in Schools
This was a panel and discussion session on fostering contemporary Australian poetry in schools. Is Australian poetry under-represented in school settings? What are the challenges to improved access and better teaching of poetry? This session, at the National Poetry Festival, included perspectives from academics, poets, teachers and publishers and aimed at practical strategies for future improvement.
The speakers are listed below. Papers from the forum will be published in the first issue of FIVE BELLS early in 2006.
Chair: Warrick Wynne
1. The Mission: Lorraine Gillespie
2. The Publishers Perspective: Ron Pretty
3. A Poet’s Viewpoint – Brook Emery
4. What schools need: Warrick Wynne
5. A Student Perspective – Jessica Chang
6. Life After School: Teaching Poetry to adults: Lyn Hatherly