I moved to a different kind of reckoning of my favourite books this year, eschewing the categorisations that have served me well for more than twenty years. What I’ve been finding is that the categories aren’t as fixed as they once seemed anyway, so this year I’ve just gone for books I read this year (not necessarily published this year).
- Jesus’s Son by Dennis Johnson (S)
- Henry David Thoreau (a life) by Laura Walls (NF)
- Now All Roads Lead to France: The Last Years of Edward Thomas by Matthew Hollis (NF)
- The Peregine by J. A. Baker (NF)
- The Mirror of the Sea by Joseph Conrad (NF)
- His Dark Material (vol. 1, 2, and 3) by Joseph Pullman (F)
- The Shepherd’s Hut by Tim Winton (F)
- The Dark is Rising (vol. 1, 2, 3, 4) by Susan Cooper (F)
- A Shout in the Ruins by Kevin Power (F)
- In Pursuit of Spring by Edward Thomas (NF)
- Landskipping by Anna Pavord (NF)
You can read more about my reading, and past winners over at my other page here.